Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Life on the Farm: The First Month

I can't believe that it has already been 5 weeks since the big move! (If you missed my post about our journey to the farm, check it out here.) The past month has flown by, full of unpacking, decorating, and then more unpacking. We had a storage unit for our last 6 months in the old house (for staging purposes) and it has been so fun to unpack all of the toys, books, and other random things that we had completely forgotten about. For a couple of weeks the girls thought that every day was Christmas on the farm. ;-)

We haven't done much of anything with the land other than explore, but Jason's tractor will be arriving in early June so that will change soon! This tractor has an awesome story of its own, so I'll probably blog about that later in the summer. :-) As happy as I am out here, it makes me even happier to see how much he loves this place! My husband was meant to be in the country and I'm so happy that he's finally here. Without fail, when our move comes up in conversation the first thing people ask is, "why?" I have always responded by saying that it was Jason's dream to live in the country, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that his dream is now mine too. I am absolutely in love with this place, and I truly can't imagine living anywhere else.

I have a whole bunch of jumbled thoughts to share, so I'll bullet point a few highlights and favorite things from the last month:

*These people. <3

 *The air out here smells aaaah-mazing! And sitting on this bench in the mornings is my new favorite thing.


*The views! Before we moved out here I was a little nervous because there are SO MANY doors and windows in this place: kind of a ridiculous amount, really. I wasn't sure where we would put the furniture because there just aren't any big empty walls. Now that we're here? I TOTALLY understand why they built it this way, and it is because every single inch of this place has views for miles and they are incredible. I wouldn't change a darn thing now. Jason and I have made a habit of sitting on the back patio after the girls go to bed and just staring at this incredible beauty that God made. The sunsets are unreal here, and watching storms off in the distance is a new-found joy for me.

*The sounds--or rather, the lack of sounds. It is insanely quiet here (well other than lots of birds and cows.) Gone are the days of screaming neighbors, constant police sirens, and cars racing down the street at 80mph (seriously--that all happened almost every single day!)

*The stars! We couldn't see much of the sky from where we were in the city...but here? Well, lets just say we don't have that problem anymore. Jason got a telescope a few years ago and never really used it in the last house, but it has a permanent place here.

*Decorating! We were so cramped in the last house that there wasn't much room for anything other than necessities, but we have some serious space here! As I walked in the other day with a few things from the store I heard, "mom are you EVER going to stop buying plants??" And that pretty well sums it up, LOL. ;-)

*The people! A huge benefit to small town living is that everyone is really nice. I forgot what its like to live in a place where you wave to people as you drive down the street. It is awesome.

*The critters! Bunnies, deer, birds, cows, horses, donkeys, alpacas, goats, sheep, you name it! 








I'm going to leave it at that for today, but as soon as there is anything interesting to update I will. In the meantime, I'll just be here playing with the kids and enjoying this foggy weather. :-)